Aledo Ladycats JV at Brewer Tournament, Time TBA
The Community News • P.O. Box 1031 • 203 Pecan Dr. • Aledo, TX 76008 • 817-441-7661 • FAX: 817-441-5419
By Linda Bagwell
At its regular September meeting Thursday, Sept. 9, the Weatherford College Board of Trustees approved the negotiation of a contract with Corgan Associates of Dallas for the design of new mansard roofs for 12 buildings on the Weatherford campus. The design removes the mansard portion of the existing roofs and allows the horizontal features of the existing overhangs and covered colonnades to be emphasized and enhanced. The existing soffit and headers above windows will be repainted to match the new overhang to complement the existing buildings.
“This option is a cost effective way of providing a modern image across all building facades,” said Susan Smith of Corgan.
The trustees will review at least two design and materials options and are expected to decide the preferred “look” in the October meeting. Materials will be selected based on sustainability, maintenance, availability, and material and installation costs. Local contractors will be encouraged to bid the work incorporated in this project; Corgan will work with campus administration to make sure local businesses have access to construction documents. A competitive sealed proposal method will be utilized to select contractors.
The trustees also approved a resolution to authorize an interlocal cooperation contract between WC and the Facilities Planning and Construction Department of the Texas A&M University System to provide project management and inspection assistance for all construction projects for the College. Representatives from A&M will assist WC in the planning and design phases and actual construction for a term of one year with automatic renewal for an additional year.
“This partnership can be very beneficial to us, and (these experts) will be able to act as advisors to us during any construction phases,” said Andra Cantrell, vice president of financial and administrative affairs.
Additionally, the board members approved 6-1, with Trustee Trey Cobb opposing, an update to College local policy regarding a permanent ban on all tobacco product use on College District grounds and buildings. WC President Dr. Kevin Eaton has instituted tobacco-free status for all WC facilities for the fall 2010 semester, and asked the Board to consider a permanent ban. College officials will work with Campus Police on educating students and employees on the tobacco-free status, as well as assisting with tobacco cessation programs for those who choose to quit.
In his President’s Report, Eaton updated the trustees on several items:
1. Enrollment: As of Sept. 9, enrollment for the fall semester stands at 5,718 students, a 5.62 percent increase over this time last year and a 19.2 percent increase over this point in time two years ago, and contact hours are up approximately 5.66 percent over this time last year and up 21.75 percent over this point two years ago. Wise County total enrollments stand at 765 students, a 13.67 percent increase over last year’s numbers; Mineral Wells numbers stand at 132, a 63 percent increase over last year’s numbers.
a. Brent Baker, for being named 2009-10 Rotarian of the Year;
b. Latonya Hines for her dedication to growing WC’s international student enrollment, up almost 20 percent this fall, and
c. “Everyone” involved in the fall registration process: Student Services, Financial Aid, the Business office, the Campus Bookstore, and the Campus Police, as well as volunteers on a new Student Services phone bank, all worked overtime to make sure the most recent registration period was a great success.
Additionally, in other business, the board:
1. Awarded bids to five vendors for food service products and supplies and to seven vendors for color and web printing and mailing services;
2. Approved employment of one recommended full-time instructor and one professional staff member: David Farkas, agriculture instructor; and Karen Buerkle, web designer.
3. Approved an addendum to the original letter of agreement between WC and the Decatur Independent School District regarding continued use of DISD facilities for the temporary site of the WC Wise County campus;
4. Approved several updates to local policy, including among others, operational procedures during emergencies and a revision from “Faculty Advisory Council” to “Faculty Senate;”
5. Heard reports on the following:
a. College financials and
b. Announcements, including upcoming College events.
6. Met in closed session to discuss personnel and College property matters; no action was announced on either topic.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the WC Board of Trustees is Oct.14, 2010.
Aledo Ladycats JV at Brewer Tournament, Time TBA
Aledo Ladycats Varsity at A&M Consolidated Tournament, College Station, Time TBA
Aledo Bearcats Varsity at Southwest and Arlington Heights Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Bearcats JV at Granbury Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Bearcats Freshmen at Weatherford Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Varsity at Chisholm Trail Tournament, all day
Aledo Bearcats Varsity Black and Orange at Bearcat Brawl at Split Rail Links and Golf Club.
Aledo Bearcats vs. Burleson at Bearcat Stadium, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *Senior Night & District Game
Aledo Ladycats at Burleson, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *District Game
Aledo Ladycats at Burleson Centennial, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *District Game
Aledo Bearcats Varsity at Abilene Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Bearcats JV at Boswell Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Bearcats Freshmen at Richland Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Ladycats and Bearcats Varsity Orange at Brock High School Tournament at Canyon West Golf Course.
Aledo Bearcats JV vs. Joshua at AHS Baseball Field, 6:00 pm. *District Game
Aledo Bearcats Freshmen at Joshua, 6:00 pm. *District Game.
Aledo Ladycats and Bearcats JV at Lake Ridge JV Tournament at Mansfield National Golf Course.
Aledo Bearcats at Granbury, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *District Game
Aledo Ladycats vs. Granbury at Bearcat Stadium, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *District Game
Aledo Ladycats vs. Everman at AHS Softball Field, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *District Game