Dominic Genetti/The Community News: The home of Sagers Family burns after being struck by lightning during a thunderstorm last week. Firefighters from Tarrant and Parker counties battled the blaze. No one was hurt. Jessica Sagers, 17, was home at the time of the lightning strike and was able to get the family pets out of the house. The family is currently staying at a Lake Worth hotel until a rental property is found.
By Dominic Genetti
The Community News
In a matter of minutes, Jessica Sagers went from browsing on her computer to rushing out of her house for safety.
Lightning struck the roof of her parents' home in Silver Creek during a passing thunderstorm.
Jessica and her older brother, Jimmy, who was arriving home from getting food in nearby Azle, began getting as many things out of the house as quickly as they could.
Jessica, a senior-to-be at Azle High School, grabbed the family Chihuahuas, and family pictures off the mantle. Jimmy went for the garage to salvage dirt bikes, lawnmowers and whatever he could.
“There was fire all around me,” Jimmy, 22, said as firefighters fought the blaze.
Responders were called in from as far as Springtown to fight the blaze at 117 Rattling Antler. The thick smoke from the fire could be seen for miles-as far south as Aledo at the FM-1187 exit from Interstate-20.
“It got bad within like three minutes,” Jimmy said. ‘It’s kind of hard to fathom.”
As the house burned, James and Norma Sagers dashed home from work.
Norma Sagers could see the black smoke billowing in the distance.
“I first saw the smoke from (Interstate) 820 coming back from Lake Worth and I didn’t think that was my house,” she said.
But it was.
She arrived to find her quiet neighborhood flooded with emergency vehicles and onlookers gazing at her burning home that was built four short years ago.
“You’re totally in shock,” Norma Sagers said as she recalled the events. “You’re telling yourself this can’t be happening.
“Your heart just sinks.”
It was suppose to be their dream house. A humble abode to call home through the retirement years, but in an instant it was gone.
“Pretty much everything was lost in the fire,” Norma Sagers said. “(Jessica’s) room was totally gone. They did uncover one yearbook and a couple of photos is what they got out of the fire.”
For now the Sagers Family is staying at a motel until they find rental property. It is undetermined how long the insurance investigation will take. Norma Sagers said she and James plan to rebuild on the site.
“It’s going to take a while,” she said. “You’re relieved that everybody got out safe.”