Aledo Ladycats Varsity at Brewer Tournament, Time TBA
The Community News • P.O. Box 1031 • 203 Pecan Dr. • Aledo, TX 76008 • 817-441-7661 • FAX: 817-441-5419
This synopsis is intended as a brief overview of some actions taken by the Weatherford College Board of Trustees at its regular meeting in JULY and is for general informational purposes only. This abbreviated summary is not intended to represent or reflect all discussion and action taken by the board at this meeting. Specific details outlining all action taken by the board are recorded in the official Board Meeting Minutes, prepared and maintained by the President’s Office.
By Linda Bagwell
In a lengthy board meeting Thursday, the Weatherford College Board of Trustees heard several reports, approved new policy and interlocal agreements, selected board officers and discussed again the proposed 2011-12 budget.
An updated report on the 2011-12 preliminary budget was presented by Vice President of Financial Affairs Andra Cantrell. No changes have been made to the proposed budget since it was posted online June 9.
Cantrell reported information received from the Legislative Budget Board since that date, outlining WC’s appropriations for the 2012-13 biennium: $15,349,016, a cut of $302,252 or 1.93 percent from the 2010-11 biennium. Additionally, the College will be required to absorb a cut of more than $945,000 for employee health insurance and make a one percent payroll contribution to the Employee Retirement System starting in fiscal year 2012 for all benefit-eligible employees.
“Although this legislative session has dealt us a serious blow, it is not quite as bad as first thought,” Cantrell said. “We are currently working through all of the information provided and looking at the effect it will have on our budget. It is very tedious and time-consuming on the insurance and retirement calculations. The budget will be updated online just as soon as we are complete.”
The board will approve the final 2011-12 budget in late August.
Additionally, the board elected Frank Martin, Joel Watson and Trey Cobb, who each will remain in their current positions as chair, vice chair and secretary, respectively.
The board also authorized a tuition and fee schedule for the Education Center at Granbury, which will open in August for fall classes. Tuition was approved at $99 per credit hour for all Hood County residents attending the Education Center in Granbury, an $8 per hour savings from the out-of-district rate charged to residents outside Parker or Wise counties.
Also the board:
1.) Approved a new local policy regarding intellectual property rights for students and employees;
2.) Approved an interlocal agreement between WC and the City of Hudson Oaks, allowing WC Fire Academy to conduct fire science classes at the city’s Public Safety Building, contingent on the receipt of a reciprocal indemnification agreement from Hudson Oaks;
3.) Authorized a resolution between WC and the City of Plano, for participation in a cooperative purchasing program;
4.) Approved a Memorandum of Understanding between WC and the Granbury Independent School District, clarifying responsibilities related to the maintenance of the GISD building that will house the WC Education Center at Granbury, contingent of the receipt of a reciprocal indemnity agreement from GISD;
5.) Approved a Memorandum of Understanding between WC and the WC Foundation clarifying liability between the two parties and
6.) Approved several change orders relative to the roof project and construction of the softball field.
In the President’s Report, Dr. Kevin Eaton updated the trustees on several matters and recognized several employees:
1) Brent Baker and staff and volunteers for the Peach Pedal Bike Ride, a partnership between the WC Foundation and the Weatherford Chamber of Commerce, that brought more than 2,200 cyclists to the area and raised significant funds for WC scholarships;
2) Clarin Gniffke, WC student, who participated in the recent Miss Texas Scholarship as Miss Weatherford College and placed first in a swimsuit preliminary and was voted Miss Congeniality by her fellow competitors;
3) Announced resignations of Peggy Armstrong, counselor, and Dr. Jimi Leopold, psychology instructor, and
4) Enrollment remains down about 5.5 percent, for the fall semester, but Administration is confident registration will pick up nearer the semester start and will reach near numbers posted last fall.
The board also heard reports on the following:
1) College cash balance report, operating statements and quarterly investments for the period ending May 31, 2011;
2) Construction projects and facility updates: work will begin shortly on the softball complex after gas lines down the middle of the field are re-buried and soil is compacted, and construction is still expected to be complete by mid-December; construction of the Academic Building should begin in October; and work on the mansard roof project is well under way, with expected completion by late August;
3) An update by Dr. Sarah Lock on the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), a multi-year plan to enhance student learning, that is required by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), and
4) Announcements, including upcoming College events.
The board also met in closed session to discuss issues relevant to property and personnel. No action was taken.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the WC Board of Trustees is August 11, 2011.
Aledo Ladycats Varsity at Brewer Tournament, Time TBA
Aledo Bearcats Varsity at Jerry Durant Classic at Aledo, Time TBA.
Aledo Bearcats JV at Burleson Tournament, Time TBA.
Aledo Bearcats Freshmen at Grand Prairie Tournamnet, Time TBA.
Aledo Ladycats and Bearcats Varsity Black at Regional Preview at Rawls Golf Course, Lubbock.
Aledo Ladycats and Bearcats JV at Waxahachie JV Tournament at Waxahachie Country Club.
Aledo Bearcats at Crowley, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *District Game
Aledo Ladycats vs. Crowley at Bearcat Stadium, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *District Game
Aledo Ladycats vs. Joshua at AHS Softball Field, JV 5:30 pm and Varsity 7:00 pm. *District Game
Aledo Ladycats Varsity Orange at Glen Rose Invitational at Squaw Valley Golf Course Links Course.
Aledo Ladycats JV at Brewer Tournament, Time TBA
Aledo Ladycats Varsity at A&M Consolidated Tournament, College Station, Time TBA
Aledo Bearcats Varsity at Southwest and Arlington Heights Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Bearcats JV at Granbury Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Bearcats Freshmen at Weatherford Tournament, Times TBA.
Aledo Ladycats and Bearcats at Boswell
Aledo Middle School at Stephenville
Aledo Middle School vs. Brock at Brock High School, 4:30 pm